Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Basics

We all know that everyone has different personalities, that is the easy part. I realized from the first day I met the oldest who was 7 at the time that he was analytical to the max and a worrier to say the least. The second oldest was 5 when I met her and immediately knew she wanted all the attention and wanted to fit in. The 4 year old was the solid tough guy who was ALL BOY. And of course little 2 year old girl who was so shy that she would go hide whenever she would see me.

Now, I waited for about 6 months before talking to them even on the phone. I waited about 2 months after that to even meet them. So they had been hearing about me and from me for 9 months. That was still not enough. Everyday we take it slow and that helps!

You may want to know why I said "was" while describing their personalities. The answer is easy, that is who I thought they were, not who they really are. With divorce obviously comes a lot of issues. In our situation there had been some abuse from the father who now hardly has any contact with the kids. That is a whole new set of problems.

The oldest is a kid who is emotional and had no idea what a dad was. I took him to the arcade when he was 8 and he didn't even know how to play one game there. See the arcade blog for details. The oldest girl was fine, except for her getting upset over nothing, crying until her face turns bright red, throwing anything she can find, kicking, punching, psychotic rampages she would go on. We couldn't even let her stay in a room by herself, yet when she was not throwing a fit she was the most loving kid you have even seen. The 4 yr old boy is just fine, and the youngest girl was 2 so there was not much she was happy about. But she loved to talk to me on the phone. She would say "I love you" and have a full conversation with me and it helped her be a "My girl" now only a year later.

Now that you know their basic moods and emotions I will be writing more on each week with them. You can always comment me to get more information. There is just way too much that happens in a week to write down. There is hope for you single moms out there to find someone who truly loves your kids. There is hope for you step-dads who are really trying to give the kids what they need.

THERE IS HOPE!!!!!!!!!

0 comments: